- The Assistant Purser is responsible for the day-to-day passenger service tasks and transactions in the Front and Back Office.
- The Assistant Purser reports to the Chief Purser and ultimately to the Hotel Manager.
Areas of Responsibility
- Giving general information service to passengers.
- Assignments and changes of cabins for passengers as per instruction and Company policy.
- The handling of passenger accounts and credits on the Hotel accounting system.
- The distribution of mail.
- Typing of Daily News, Invitations, and Telexes etc.
- Assisting the Chief Purser when required.
- Assisting in selling Shore Excursion tickets.
- The cleanliness of the Front and Back Office.
- Handling of lost property.
- He/She assists with the collection of Cruise Tickets during embarkation.
- He/She assists the Social Director with administrative work.
- He/She operates the Casino on board at the assigned opening hours.
- He/She handles passengers' questions at the Reception Office promptly and courteously at all times.
He/She assists with the following at Reception
- Cabin changes and assignments (inform Chief Purser)
- Cabin keys
- Lost property/left luggage
- Service appointments (e.g. Hairdresser/Doctor etc.)
- Takes reservations for special shore arrangements i.e. hotel, train, plane, taxies, Restaurants etc. and forwards them to the Cruise Director
- Handles complaints (report to Purser) handles catalogue sales keeps a Reception log book
- He/She promptly transmits mail, telegrams and telephone messages to passengers and checks that messages have been received.
- He/She promptly delivers catalogue sales items to the passenger cabins.
- He/She provides clerical support in the Back Office according to procedures in the following area:
- Cash handling and accounting
- Crew accounts
- Typing, filing
- Secretarial aid to passengers as required
- Making out invitations as assigned by the Social Director
- Translations of information for non-English speaking passengers
- Collection of Passports showing cabins to passengers
- As our Company grows, so will our need for loyal, skilled management and, therefore, the Purser's Office personnel have every opportunity of promotion to higher positions.
- The appearance of the entire personnel on board the ship reflects the reputation and image of the company, therefore a great deal of emphasis is placed on a professional appearance.
- The Company expects you to maintain the highest standard of personal appearance and hygiene at all times.
- Approach passengers in a friendly manner, show a helpful attitude at all times, always have a smile and be courteous and pleasant.
- Good grooming, clean uniforms, appropriate shoes and hygiene care should be part of the basic qualities.
- Always use a deodorant, cologne (make up) and mouth wash.
- Be punctual when reporting for duty and check your work schedule to terminate when you will work.
- If in passenger areas full uniform is to be worn: hat, scarf, jacket, name tag, pants and proper shoes.
- Have a clean neat personal appearance.
- Special attention to grooming, hygiene care and clean and proper uniforms and shoes.
- Hair must be well groomed, neat and not extend over the shirt collar and always be kept clean.
- A moustache is acceptable if kept neatly trimmed.
- Big earrings and big necklaces are not to be worn on duty and more than one moderate size ring is not acceptable.
- Smoking is not permitted while on duty.